Exit Menu

Visas and Immigration

If you are an international student then it is likely that you will need a visa to study at Brunel University London. If you are not sure then you can use the 'Do I need a visa?' service on the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) website for more help.

For all undergraduate, postgraduate, research and most English Language courses at Brunel you should typically apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa, which covers the whole duration of your course.

Please visit the appropriate sections below for further details about how to apply for a Tier 4 student visa and other important visa and immigration related information.

We hope that you should find the answers to any questions on these pages. Please also refer to our Frequently Asked Questions page. However, if you are not able to find the information that you need, please contact us

Latest News

Covid-19 and visa regulations

In response to the Covid-19 situation, the UK Government has changed some of the rules for students who need to make a visa application and for Universities like Brunel who sponsor Tier 4 students.

We have published information on our website to provide information to our current and prospective students about how these changes may affect them.

Useful guidance can also be found on the UK Council for International Student Affairs - UKCISA website.

Graduate Immigration Route (Post Study Work Visa)

In September 2019, the UK Government announced plans to introduce a new Graduate Immigration Route. This will be a post study work visa that Tier 4 international students will be able to apply for when they complete their studies in the UK. At the moment, full details of the new visa have not yet been confirmed. From what we know so far, these are the key details of the Graduate route: 

  • International students who complete their course in or after the summer of 2021 will be eligible to apply;
  • It will be open to students who complete a course at undergraduate, postgraduate or research level, who have a valid Tier 4 visa at the point of application;
  • Unfortunately, the Graduate route will not be open to students who will complete their studies before the summer of 2021;
  • The visa will be two years long and will allow a graduate to work, or look for work, in any sector and at any level in the UK;
  • The visa will not be extendable and will not lead to settlement in the UK. However, it will be possible to switch into a skilled work route if the standard requirements are met i.e. Tier 2. 

We will update our communication when details of the new visa route are fully confirmed.